Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dinner Ideas #1

I have really had to become creative in my dinner cooking lately because of my Husbands work schedule, he works through dinner hours 4 nights a week.  I want him to be able to eat a homemade meal that is both healthy and delicious when he takes it the next day in his lunch box. I have been trying to come up with different dinner ideas so that we aren't eating the same things over and over again and to expand my cooking skills. One dish if have come up with is a chicken curry dish:

(Forgive my picture, my camera is out of
 batteries and had to use my cell phone)

This dish is so simple and hardly takes any time to make and the ingredients are so versatile you can please the entire family.  This is how I made this dish:
Chicken Curry

2-4 Chicken Breasts cut into bite sized chunks

Rice (any kind of rice will work I used Brown)

Curry Sauce (Any Bottle of Curry Sauce will work, I Purchase mine from 
WinCo or Target, or you could make your own)

Naan Bread for Dipping (WinCo or Target, or make your own)

4 Tbsp Oil (I use Olive Oil, but whatever you cook with will probably work)

Optional Ingredients:
Zucchini 
Crock Neck Squash
Celery
Carrots
Tomatoes
Other Vegetables

Cook the rice following box instructions.  Preheat oven to Broil at 350 degrees. Slice your veggies, Warm a sauté pan and when pan is warm add 2 Tbsp oil. add the veggies and slightly brown them while rice is cooking, when they start to get soft set aside in a bowl or pan, cover.  In the same pan warm more oil and sauté the chicken chunks until cooked throughly.  Add the bottle of sauce and the vegetables to the chicken and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes.  While the chicken mixture is simmering place the Naan Bread on a sheet pan and warm on both sides in the preheated oven.  To plate: spoon the rice onto a plate, cover it with the chicken and sauce mixture and a slice of Naan on the side. Enjoy!

I bet you could also make this dish in a crock pot by pouring the sauce and chicken in the pot and cook through out the day for 6 hours on low, or 3-4 on high and adding the veggies at a later time.  If any of you try this please let me know how it turns out.


No comments: