Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cancer and Jewelry

I had never really thought about cancer as being something that could be used as inspiration for things in everyday life. When my Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in July I thought and thought about things I could do to help. My sisters and I decided that I would make a bracelet that as sisters we could wear everyday to show our support to our Mom. Before I had even gotten our bracelts completely made we had over 20 orders from people who wanted to purchase a bracelet to. This both thrilled and totally surprised me, its crazy to think of the support that people give as they rally around the you in troubling times. These are a couple of designs that I came up with:

My sister Stephanie had this great idea that because so many people wanted to help out by buying a bracelet that we could donate some of the proceeds to our Mom to help purchase her wig. Before we knew it we had the entire wig paid for and purchased! I was so happy with all that was pulling together. My Mom then had this idea that since everyone was going to have a bracelet she wanted all us girls to have something special, shared only by the six of us, so we decided to make watches. I thought this was a wonderful idea but had never made a watch band before. So my sisters helped me figure out what beads to use. They wanted it chunky and full of pink and silver. So I sat down and this is what I came up with:

I really like how the turned out. They are nice and chunky and after 5 trips to many craft stores they really came to life. I hope you like them. I am going to dabble in making more watch bands so keep looking back to see whats new. :o)

No comments: